If you live in Japan and fancy having a little fun in your spare time, a casino table game might be the answer. The many internationally based online casinos that you can now access provide a perfect way to relax after a hard day at work, and you can even win some money!
Roulette is a favourite casino game. Many people will be familiar with the game, even if only from seeing it featured in the James Bond films. It is a fabulous game that not only provides entertainment and excitement for players but is also associated with high-class glamour.
However, new players may find all the numbers and spinning wheels confusing. If you would like to get to know more about roulette before risking any of your hard-earned money, then this is the guide for you. Here we will tell you all you need to know about roulette from its history to how it works and some basic strategies to use.
Roulette’s colourful history
The word roulette means ‘Little Wheel’ in French. It was first invented in 18th Century France by a man called Blaise Pascal. It is believed that he was obsessed with producing a perpetual motion machine – the roulette wheel was the result.
Over time, Pascal’s invention was blended with another popular game called Biribi to create the gambling platform of roulette. Many gambling historians believe that it was first played in its modern form in Paris around 1796.
That early version of the game saw it work in broadly the same way as now but with one confusing difference. The original wheel saw the Single Zero slot coloured red and the Double Zero was black. That was somewhat confusing for players so over time those slots were instead coloured green.
Future years saw the game spread rapidly across all of Europe and into the USA. That expansion almost came to a halt around 1860 when the German government abolished all gambling in the country. That caused the last legal casino in the whole of Europe to relocate to Monte Carlo where roulette flourished.
20th Century and beyond
The 20th Century was when roulette took off globally. It spread into other regions of the world including Japan and Asia. From just a handful of casinos in Monte Carlo and Las Vegas offering roulette at the turn of the century, by its end, many casinos worldwide were carrying it for players to enjoy. Within Japan, it is online casinos that have brought roulette to the fore.
As physical casinos were not legal in the past, it meant that online roulette was the place for Japanese residents to try out the game. Naturally, the game continued to evolve as the years went by. From the Double Zero variation popular in the USA and Caribbean to the Single Zero version that the rest of the world prefers. A Triple Zero version has also been developed.
Roulette at a casino
If you are thinking of trying roulette at a casino, then you need to know the rules. As a beginner, this will help you understand what is happening and to make the right decisions. In the long term, it will also help you profit!
Here’s a quick run-down of what is involved:
- The wheel itself – the famous roulette wheel is a familiar sight to many people, even if they have not played the game. The first thing to know is that there are two types of roulette wheel – the European and American. As we have touched on above, there is a slight difference with each.
The European Wheel has 37 slots (or pockets) with there being one 0 that is coloured green. The American Wheel is the same but it has 38 pockets. That is because it has a 00 slot as well. That doesn’t make a difference to how you play but naturally does present different odds of winning with there being one extra pocket on the American Wheel.
- The betting layout grid – the next thing you will notice when playing roulette is the numbered betting grid. This numbered grid shows all the numbers on the wheel that you can bet on and also the possible outcomes that can be wagered on. Players can bet on a single number for the ball to land on, a group of numbers, or even odd and even numbers to come up.
- Minimum and maximum bets – a feature that any online casino might have is a limit on how much you can bet. That could be a minimum bet amount per spin or a maximum to stop you gambling too much on one game. It is worth knowing the rule, so you can make sure you are happy with the bet amounts that are allowed by your online casino operator.
- The terminology – like all casino table games, roulette has its fair share of terminology. While playing online does remove much of that, it is still worth knowing the basics. A dolly for example is a marker placed on-screen by the dealer when bets are being settled after a spin.
Inside betting is placing your chips on the actual numbers on the inside of the grid while outside bets see you placing them on the larger grouped bets on the outside. Column bets are also quite popular due to the better odds of winning. This bet involves putting chips on a whole column of 12 numbers to win.
Let’s spin the wheel!
Now we know what is generally involved with playing roulette at an online casino here is how it works in practice:
- Place bets – when the Dolly marker is not on the screen you are free to place bets before the wheel spins. You do this by simply moving your chips to the number or position on the betting grid you wish to bet on. Just remember that it is important to think about odds here and not to bet randomly.
Betting on a single number to win on a European wheel will give you a quite low 37 to 1 chance of winning. However, if you bet on a simply a red number coming up or a black, then it is 2 to 1. Consider the odds every time you place your bet, so that you can profit in the long term.
- The dealer spins the wheel – when all bets are placed, the wheel is spun. Remember that you cannot change your bet or move any chips once the dealer announces the spin. So, be sure you place your chips before the wheel is in motion.
The wheel is spun one way, and then the roulette ball is dropped into it the opposite way. This gives it the famous spin effect as the ball rattles around the wheel. Once the wheel stops spinning and the ball settles on a number, that round is complete.
- Bets settled – once the winning number and colour are known the dealer will settle up the bets made. Any losing bets are swept off the screen as these are now the online casino winnings. If your bet has won, then you would be credited the winning payout into your account. The next round of betting then takes place and the wheel is spun once more.
Famous roulette strategies to try
As a beginner in roulette, you should now feel more confident about what is involved and how to play. The betting layout grid shouldn’t look so confusing now. However, knowing the rules of the game is only half the battle. You also need to be up to date with roulette strategies to maximise your chances of winning.
Here are a few of the best strategies for beginners to know about:
- Amended Martingale – as a beginner gambler, you may already have heard of the well-known Martingale strategy. The strategy sees you double up your bets each time you lose in the knowledge that you will surely win at some point and make your money back. Most players do not advise this approach as you can easily lose a lot of money before you hit your winning bet.
However, there is a slightly amended version of this strategy that is great for roulette. This strategy sees you only bet on the even money (i.e. 2 to 1) bets on the outside of the betting layout grid (i.e. odd numbers coming up, even numbers coming up etc…) Place an initial bet – if that loses then sit out the next two spins before doubling up your initial amount on the next spin after those. Continue that until you lose a set amount that you are happy with. Once that happens, then you either start again or stop playing for the night.
- Paroli strategy – this roulette strategy is one that many novice players use as it is both simple and low risk. It works on the basic idea that wins on a roulette wheel usually come in bunches. Once you have won on one spin, then you will probably win on a few more after that before losing again. To take advantage of that, you place your initial bet of say 10 Yen – if this wins then you bet 20 Yen on your next spin. Do that for four bets in total and then stop. Of course, you can bank your winnings and begin again with your original 10 Yen if you wish. The key to this strategy is knowing when to stop and not prolonging the sequence of doubled up bets.
- D’Alembert strategy – this is another strategy for new players on the wheel as it is simple to use and is fairly low risk. It works by increasing bets on a smaller scale rather than doubling up. As with the Paroli and Amended Martingale, you need to be betting on outside, even money bets to make this work.
Place your initial bet – if you win then decrease your next by 1 but if you lose increase it by 1. The real secret to this strategy working is to stop playing when you have had an equal number of losses and wins. Overall, this will leave you up on the session due to the way in which you have been betting.
The James Bond strategy
Everyone on the planet loves the James Bond films. Indeed, when you think of casinos, Bond is likely to come to mind first. It is fitting therefore that there is a roulette strategy named after him.
It was dreamt up by Bond creator Ian Fleming who was confident that the system could be used regularly to make a good profit on the game. Ideally, you would need at least 200 Yen to start playing with this strategy. Simply put 140 Yen on numbers 19-36, 50 Yen on numbers 13 to 18 and 10 Yen on the Zero as insurance.
Now, you may have spotted that any number between 1 and 12 coming up would see you lose all your money. While that is true, the profits you can make on landing any of the bets you have covered is worth the risk. After all, who said James Bond ever did anything that was safe?
What makes roulette a suitable table game for novices?
Roulette is a very enjoyable and rewarding game for players of all levels, however, it is especially suitable for beginners. The rules are simple, which means it is a game that can be picked up more or less straightaway.
There is also a great range of bets with some decent odds available, like the even money you can get for betting on the outside bets. Just as important for the casual Japanese player wanting to wind down in his or her spare time, it is great fun to play. There is nothing in the casino quite like seeing the roulette wheel spin and waiting to see if your number or colour comes up.
Roulette at online casinos – a perfect way to play
The best way to enjoy roulette throughout Japan is via an online casino. While there are no online legal sites based in the country, it is okay to use the many internationally based online casino sites around.
But why is playing online so amazing? Firstly, it is the only avenue open to you with no legal physical casinos in operation in Japan as yet. More than that though, they are convenient and easy to use. All online casinos carry roulette along with a host of other games and fabulous promotions to take advantage of.
When it comes to promotions at online casinos then the below are two key ones to look out for:
- No deposit bonus – this casino bonus is superb as it means you can play roulette without risking any of your own money. As the name suggests, the online casino will simply put some of its money into your account to play with before you have to use your own cash. Keep an eye out for no deposit bonus code online for the best deals.
- Welcome Bonus Package – many online sites also give a Welcome Package to new players when you create an account with them. You will then get extras, like free spins on slot games.
What should you look for in an online casino?
When it is your own hard-earned money you are playing with and you are handing over personal details, you do need to pick the right casino.
But what should you be looking for? Here are some tips to help out:
- Live dealer games – it is important to look at the types of games on offer at an online casino. That is true for roulette where you may want to have the option of playing Live Dealer versions as well as against the computer. Live Dealer games are now very popular as they give the feel of being in a real-life casino but with the advantages of playing online.
- Payment options – Japan is one of the major markets for digital currencies like Bitcoin. With that in mind, it is worth checking if the online casino you will use allows you to bet with such a currency. Bitcoin roulette may be your preferred way of playing as it is easy to use and convenient. Check if the site you plan to play on enables Bitcoin gambling and crypto betting, so you are not disappointed after signing up. There are many Bitcoin gambling sites around now who will even reward you for playing with digital currencies.
- Customer service – it is also worth looking into the reputation the casino has with players and to check the quality of the customer service it provides. You do not want to use an online casino that scams you or is not helpful when you have a problem. Also, make sure that the casino is licensed and properly regulated.
Luck be a lady tonight
If you are new to roulette, then hopefully the above guide has given you enough to dive right in. It is a fun and exciting game that is not hard to pick up once you have grasped the basics. With the right strategy in place, you stand every chance of winning some money. Take your time to figure out the bets you would like to place and how the betting layout grid works – once this is done, you will be on your way to roulette success.